Monday, May 20, 2013

Fargo Marathon Report: Run White Boy Run!

Pre-Race: After months of training, long runs through snow, speed work through rain, one easy run in 99 degree temps, the day of the Fargo Marathon finally came. Drove up to Fargo Friday morning, which is a thrilling drive, nothing but fields and......well fields the whole way. Got to the Fargo Dome, which technically isn't a dome, it's an arena, I feel like they lie on purpose, and picked up my fancy Adidas drawstring bag, shirt and chip. Also, was made aware that the Bismarck Marathon is using the worst picture of me on their booth wall. I can't even find a copy of it which is probably good, but I'll be amazed if anyone signs up for the race with my face plastered up there. After a pasta dinner, headed back to the hotel for a good nights sleep.
Up and at'em the next morning headed back to the Fargo Dome for the start of the race.  Waited inside in a weird time warp to 1997 as they kept playing Sugar Ray and Lou Bega. Luckily for me I had my iPad and basically played Macklemore and Ryan Lewis' "Can't Hold Us" on repeat. 100% sure I got some looks doing  my warm up stuff while rapping to myself, but as he says, "we came here to live life like nobody was watching."

Race Time: Headed up to the start line just as the rain was finishing up. A few sprinkles but nothing that would matter. Temperature was hovering around 60 at the time which wouldn't be bad, but the humidity was 90%. Based on previous years, I figured I'd finish around the top 10-15 so I went ahead and walked my way up to the start line. After the required playing of Eye of the Tiger, we were off. Like everything in Fargo, the course was flat outside of a few underpasses which provide the only thrill along the course. Tried to go out at 6:05 pace which would put me a little fast than my goal of sub 2:40, but where I thought I felt comfortable, apparently my body had other ideas. Mile times based on the Garmin which was off right away do to all the turns:
Mile 1-6: 5:59, 6:02, 6:01, 5:56, 6:00, 5:59: Ok, going a bit fast. There was a group of 4 other guys who I overheard were looking for a 2:40 marathon but I couldn't get in a rhythm running next to them. Was nice to have a group to block the wind, but at about mile 4 I pulled ahead and just kept going. Luckily for me I didn't stick with them as none finished faster than 2:45, spoiler alert I know.
Mile 7-13: 5:56, 5:55, 6:00, 5:55, 5:56, 5:54, 5:59: Still going too fast. I hit the half marathon point in 1:19:00 which is a new half marathon PR for me. The sun started to come out. Humidity was still in the upper 80%. My legs were feeling fatigued. I hit the mark thinking one of two things would happen: I'm either going to crush my goal or I'm going to blow up at some point and it's going to be a harsh reality check and long slog back to the Dome. Either way, I trained to give it my best shot and that's what I was going to do.
Mile 14-20: 5:55, 5:54, 6:02, 5:57, 5:54, 6:04, 6:00: At this point, I had completely separated myself from anyone behind me and the person in front of me kept pulling away. I was absolutely in no mans land. The fan support was limited, though the water stops were great, I hit mile 19 going into a park absolutely feeling shot. My body was wanting to stop. My breathing was completely out of wack. A had a stupid side stitch creeping in. I thought I was about as done as could be. Swung around a corner though and a biker was calling a paramedic for another runner that was ahead of me, 50 feet later there the runner was face first on the ground, barely responsive. My first thought was I hope he's alright. My second thought was, don't let that be me. The humidity was still high, the temps were rising, despite people saying I looked good (which let's be clear, I did look good) I was feeling like crap.
Mile 21-26.2: 6:03, 6:19, 6:14, 6:29, 7:11, 6:41, plus something for the .2 miles: And there it is. The wheels were off. Well, at least wobbling. My body was ready to stop. The side stitch had left but the energy was gone. I kept looking for each mile marker, and when I hit it, I gave myself a 10 second walk break to see if i could just catch a spark, but sadly it didn't come. My goal slowly slipped away. No matter how hard I wanted it, my body had different thoughts. Little after mile 25 a course marshal on a bike came back to me and lead me to the Dome. I wish he would have shown up 3 miles earlier because as soon as I chatted with him some, learned about how the winners finished, it kept me busy and I "cruised" on through to the finish. My body felt good but I had no energy to sustain myself those last few miles. Made the turn into the Dome and sprinted to the finish. Official time: 2:40:49. OA: 6/1643. 2nd in my Age Group and an 18:20 PR.

Post Race: After chugging a carton of chocolate milk, a slice of pizza and some cookies, slowly made it back to the hotel for some more pizza and a much needed Surly Overrated, because what are goals if not overrated right, and a Fargo Brewing Cmpany Wood Chipper IPA. The Wood Chipper is a solid IPA from a newish and only brewery in Fargo from what my limited research provided. Not overly hoppy or bitter. One I could easily sit and have a few of at a time. After a hot shower, resting in the hotel and watching Too Fast, Too Furious (I have a theme of watching Fast and Furious movies in crappy hotels after long runs), headed out for some more post race beers including Rogue Dead Guy Ale, Widmer Brothers Drifter Pale Ale, Coors Light and Bud Light. The Drifter was a pretty solid beer. Not sure I'd have that over a Summit or Furious but hit the spot. During all that also watched Pop Rocks, a fun cover band and then American Music Award's Best New Hard Rock/Heavy Metal Band of 1991, Firehouse! They were surprisingly awesome! They are more than just their one hit, "Love of a Lifetime," they're not much more, but they are definitely more. Seriously, the lead singer sounds just about the same as their albums back in the early 90's and the drummer had the same long permed hair from the early 90's.

Though I didn't hit my goal of sub 2:40, I came close, I left it out there and I walked away gingerly with a 18:20 PR. Training 18 weeks on the Advanced Marathoning program, I definitely feel I had the fitness for sub 2:40. I ran more miles in those 18 weeks then I ever have before. More long runs. More speed work. More everything and it paid off. Maybe if the weather had been a little better. Maybe if I wasn't running by myself for pretty much the entire race. Maybe if I had gone 5-6 seconds slower those first 20 miles. Maybe a lot of things, but that's why you run the race. One thing is for sure, I'll be giving it another shot. Philly? CIM? Some other random city? Doesn't matter, and this time the goal may be reset. Another 18 minutes? That might be excessive. 2:35, I see you.

No comments:

Post a Comment